Whole Foods Diet Guidelines
Here are some whole foods guidelines to help you choose a lifestyle that supports vibrant health. A healthy diet is based on whole grains, quality protein and lots of colorful produce. Add in some herbs and healthy oils and you have a wonderful meal.
1. Eat whole grains. Choose whole grains over refined grains. Choose brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats and more. Use them in pilafs, stir fries, and as a porridge.
2. Choose high quality protein. Protein can be vegetable or animal source. Choose from meat, poultry, fish, tofu, beans, tempeh, and seitan. Especially with animal foods, choose organic and hormone free products. Look for Omega 3 eggs and grass fed beef for the best nutrition.
3. Choose a variety of produce with lots of color. The deep colored, jewel tone produce is the most nutrient dense. Especially favor the dark leafy greens like kale, collards, parsley, turnip greens and more.
4. Choose fresh food over canned or frozen. Avoid irradiated foods, genetically engineered, or foods with growth hormones, additives, and preservatives. Buy organic, or look for “GMO free” on the label.
5. Avoid trans-fatty acids and hydrogenated oils. These are found in almost all processed foods. Buy healing oils such as extra virgin olive oil and flax oil. Spend the money and get the best. Quality really counts in this area. Healthy oils help you assimilate minerals from your food.
6. Include sea vegetables. These are a powerhouse of minerals which the body needs to detox the many chemicals we encounter every day. Look for nori, wakame and kombu at health food grocery stores.
7. Exercise. This strengthens digestion, improves mood, and helps weight loss. Walking is good. Exercise should be something you enjoy. Gentle is okay; over exercising raises cortisol, the stress hormone. Be balanced and use moderation. Dance!
8. Eat meals at regular times. This helps with blood sugar stability. Be sure to eat breakfast, it’s very important to start your metabolism for the day. If you don’t eat breakfast you may binge in the afternoon!
9. Eat slowly. Chew well and eat in peace, with mindfulness. This strengthens digestion. Sit down while you eat, and play beautiful music. Avoid the fast food atmosphere and make your meals a nurturing, beautiful experience.
10. Enjoy the sun. You need sunlight to create vitamin D, which supports your hormones,your bones, and strengthens your immunity.